Friday, February 7, 2014

#21DSD ~ Day 3 "Drastic times call for drastic measures."

Isn't that just the truth.  I am sorry for what I said when I was hungry.  Sorry to the lady in the grocery store for knocking into your cart and then remarking to you how you should not leave your cart in the middle of the aisle.  Sorry to my kids whom I shushed last night.  When they asked why, I replied with "you're being annoying."  And sorry to those of you who call me just before lunch and want to talk business.  All I can think about is getting to my lunch that is sitting in the fridge and calling my name.  Haven't you figured out by now that 11:45 a.m. is just not the right time?  Anyway, on to more important things.  Like cutting sugar out of your diet and then tempting yourself with the sweet delectable treats that you were stupid enough to stock up on before this detox.

When you find yourself lacking self-control get rid of the temptation.  Throw that leftover Pop Tart out the window.  I know it’s been sitting on the dirty floor of the car but sugar is like a drug addiction.  You don’t care where it came from you just know you want it.  Admit it…you’ve picked up snacks your kid has dropped on the floor and popped them in your mouth.  Only to turn around and find your child with the saddest most pitiful look on his face remarking “Mommy, don’t eat my snack.”  If you’ve never found yourself in this situation then – on second thought – maybe you don’t need to try out this whole sugar detox thing.  Either that or I’m just plain crazy.  This morning when I got back into the car after dropping the kids off, I glanced down to see Taylor’s leftover Pop Tart on the center console.  First thought “One little bite won’t hurt.”  Second thought “I must get this out of the car.”  Emergency ejection commenced.  I rolled down my window and chucked it out.  Problem solved.  Until I was gathering my work gear from the back seat and found a package of mini muffins on the floor.  Plan B.  Stomp on them until they no longer resemble yummy, edible plumps of sweet goodness.  Then throw them in the trash.  Now off to my office which sits no more than 100 feet from a 20 foot shelf of all the carb-loaded snacks a girl could dream of.  Drastic times call for drastic measures. 

Despite the morning temptations, I found myself feeling pretty good today.  I filled up on all my meals without ever fully finishing a meal and felt energized and upbeat the rest of the day.

Here’s the rundown of my menu for the day:

Day 3
Breakfast

Leftover Vanilla Bean Banana n’ Oatmeal.  I think it tasted even better the second day.  I got about halfway through it and felt full.  I actually was about to keep eating when this realization kicked in.  So I just stopped eating.  It was crazy and unbelievable but I really wasn’t hungry anymore.  I’m pretty sure this is the result of cutting out sugar.  I believe the taste of sugar works to encourage more cravings and less satiation.


Lunch
I meant to eat a snack since I had a one o' clock meeting that would delay my lunch until two.  Trust
me...you don't want to be Hangry when going into a meeting with your boss.  Surprisingly, I felt fine!  A couple times during the meeting I thought "Here it comes.  Any minute now I'm going to turn into a snarky bitch" until the meeting was over and I realized it never happened.  And the leftover tuna tasted much better today.  I paired that with my remaining 8 oz. of Kombucha and, again, felt satisfied enough that I didn't even finish my lunch.
Easy shortcut for on the go is Wholly Guacamole's 100 calorie packs.  They also pack way more flavor than avocado slices as they include dried jalapeno, garlic and salt.  I think this really added a lot of flavor to the meal.

Dinner
This is where it all went down hill.  I snacked on some Almonds while preparing a meatloaf and cooking parsnip mashed potatoes.  As the meal was nearing complete (and I had begun to get extremely hungry as the time was nearing eight 'o clock) I removed the meatloaf from the oven only to find it needed 20 more minutes of cook time.  Thankfully I had some hard boiled eggs in the fridge.  I quickly scarfed one down and waited for the timer to go off.  The meatloaf turned out to be great.  The parsnip mash was not my favorite.  It had this overwhelming sweet taste that I just couldn't deal with.

Now as I finish up this blog and look forward to crashing for the evening, I'm reconsidering tomorrow's breakfast.  Spend another 40 minutes in the kitchen cooking up a quiche or fry some eggs and bacon?  Only tomorrow will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment