Monday, February 17, 2014

#21DSD ~ Day 10-12: "Can I just quit now?"

I’m pretty sure I've seriously considered quitting about 5 times a day over the last three days.  Most people on these detoxes experience their crash between days three and five.  For me, it hit over the weekend.  I've been somewhat of an emotional basket case.  Hangry would be one way to describe it.  On top of that, I feel like crap.  I’ve been waking up with headaches, feeling down but not knowing why and crying at the drop of a hat.  I really wanted to get on here and tell you all that this detox is easy.  Everyone should do it.  But, to be perfectly honest, it’s way harder than I thought it would be.  It’s one thing to cut carbs, but it’s a whole other matter to cut sugar.  I’m realizing that this “detox” is not just lip service.  You really are detoxing from a major ingredient that your body has become dependent on.

Every time I sit down to eat, I need to muster up my motivation to make it through one more meal.  Every time I wake up, I need to encourage myself to start the day fresh and get through it without cheating.  And thanks to my readers out there.  I won’t cheat.  I can’t let you all down.  Or at least that’s what I tell myself at six in the morning when I want to break down and eat a donut. 

As for my meals, I’ll give you the highlights…

Day 10
I cashed in my leftovers.  I had leftover Oatmeal for breakfast and we enjoyed leftover meatza for dinner.  I was grateful for a lunch meeting at which I could order in a salad with some olive oil for dressing. 


I tried to convince hubby to pick up wine, again, and was denied.  Instead I indulged in some hot tea.  Not exactly wine, but it was enough to satisfy my craving to slowly sip on a beverage before bed.

Day 11
Still no cooking!  It was awesome.  We went out to breakfast where I ordered two fried eggs and a side of bacon.  Lunch was a mish mash of things leftover in the kitchen.  Prosciutto, sliced English cucumbers, baby carrots, guacamole and sliced green apples with almond butter. 

Dinner will get its own paragraph because it was the absolute hardest moment in time for me on this detox.  We showed up to this wonderful restaurant known for gluten free options, fresh seasonal ingredients and low calorie meals.  Perfect!  Except they have this wonderful bar area where a musician is playing and people are cheerily talking and drinking martinis and wine.  Ughh!  I wanted a glass of red wine like it was nobody’s business.  We sat in the lobby for a few minutes feeling miserable.  I finally decided to stop feeling sorry for myself and we walked into the bar and did the unspeakable….we ordered a hot tea and coffee.  It was wonderful.  I could still enjoy the atmosphere and sip on something without cheating on the detox.  When we sat down to our meal the waiter asked San Pellegrino or tap water?  San Pellegrino, of course.  Hubby gave me a weird look and I replied with “if I can’t indulge in wine, I’m going to indulge in water.”  It was fabulous.  The meal was also wonderful.  We ordered chili rellenos for an appetizer which is essentially a roasted poblano pepper stuffed with chicken and chopped bell peppers.  Followed up with a side of lobster and a filet with roasted mushrooms (I really almost typed marshmallows here…you can tell where my head is at) and spinach.  We got to talking and discovered that we’re both really struggling with this. 

Day 12
I whipped up some green smoothies since I had all the ingredients.  I just had to substitute kale for the spinach.  And we enjoyed some leftover quiche that I had frozen from the week before.  Promptly upon entering church, my boys grabbed a donut, took a few bites and handed them over to me for safe keeping.  They have no idea!  I quickly found a spot to set them down and brushed the icing off my fingers before I had a chance to lick them.  We had lunch out which was basically a burger without the bun and a side of veggies.  Again, I ordered a hot beverage to keep myself busy and thoroughly distracted.  This has definitely become my go to strategy for making it through this detox.  We were so hungry mid-afternoon that we snacked on some nuts, more veggies and guacamole and apples with almond butter.  By the time dinner came around, we still felt unsatisfied but not necessarily hungry.  I made some Sesame Salmon with Balsamic Red Cabbage.  I think I was just going through the motions because when we sat down, we were both
barely hungry and unable to completely finish our meals.


Tomorrow is another day and I’m hoping to regain my strength and motivation to finish this out strong.  Wish us luck!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you guys are doing great! I am surprised though that you are still struggling and feeling so hungry. Are you seeing a doctor during this and making sure you are eating enough calories? You guys are marathon runners and your bodies are used to burning up the calories. Maybe you need to eat twice the amount of good foods to get enough calories to burn. Also, Think about the foods you are no longer eating. You aren't just detoxing from sugar, you are detoxing from all the preservatives, food coloring and chemicals in processed foods. That may be the reason for some of your moodiness. When I did my sugar fast a couple years ago I know I was detoxing more from all the chemicals in processed foods than just sugar. I also am now more sensitive to processed foods and food coloring.

    The detox is worth it in the end, but make sure you are getting the right amount of calories and vitamins your body needs. This may be a 3 week detox, but it is a lifetime eating habit change. Keep with it! Praying for you guys! Also, try red rubios sweet and spicy tea. It doesn't require additional sweetener and it got me through my craving for sweets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jolene. You're right. I forgot about all that artificial crap you get in processed foods.

      I think we're eating enough calories. Troy and I aren't running right now so we're not burning as many calories as we usually do. We're taking a break from it during the detox. I am making double portions for us to make sure we're getting enough food and I'm rotating through different veggies. I think we were just more dependent on sugar than we thought.

      I appreciate your encouragement. Only 8 days to go!

      Delete