Wednesday, February 5, 2014

#21DSD ~ Day 1. “I didn’t open the Cheez-Its.”

Prior to starting this program I had been dabbling here and there with some sugar detox recipes that are, to be honest, way better than expected.  You could even call them satisfying and delicious.  The real gauge of a good meal is the husband’s reaction and surprisingly – or not so surprising – he enjoys a diet that consists of stir fry beef, meatballs and any other meaty and fatty protein we can conjure up.  We generally ignore the kids because if it’s not chicken nuggets and ketchup it won’t fly in their book.  We’ll work on them a little later.  After the kids initial reactions of “I don’t like this” and my response of “you haven’t even tasted it” we sit down to enjoy a meal that is completely satisfying in that “I don’t feel like secretly scarfing handfuls of Cheez-Its after this” way.

Here we go!

Day 1
Breakfast

The Green Smoothie
Last night while the kids were – unbeknownst to us – drawing on the wall in the family room, I buckled down to make a green smoothie.  Now you might be wondering “What makes it green?”  Answer:  Spinach and avocado.  Of course, the green apple and coconut milk work hard to add flavor and creaminess.  I love smoothies because I can drink them in the car on the way to work.  I also boiled a half dozen eggs last night for snacking and breakfast options.  Today, I chose to eat the hard-boiled egg for breakfast.  And because it’s Day 1, I treated myself to a Dunkin Donuts coffee.  Black, of course.  I sprinkled a little cinnamon in there because it adds a nice flavor but it also has some great health benefits like lowering cholesterol, regulating blood sugar as well as providing some key nutrients like manganese, fiber, iron and calcium.  It’s a great natural remedy.  Just google it.

Lunch

This was a quick and easy lunch solution since I didn't make dinner last night (I was on a crazy grocery trip buying up all the fruits and veggies and meat I could find).  It's prosciutto, Wholly Guacamole's 100 calorie pack of plain Guac and cucumber slices for dipping.  Like chips, except they aren't chips.  Rounding out the meal is a banana that looked green-tipped yesterday but now appears to be ripe.  (You can only eat green-tipped bananas on this diet as they are less sweet)


Snack

I usually break for a snack about mid-afternoon as I don't usually get dinner on the table until 7 p.m.  Without a snack I would definitely be one "Hangry" mama (Hungy +Angry = Hangry) by the time I greet my family in the evening.  Snack consisted of a handful of unsalted Almonds and a cup of my favorite "green juice."  I love Kale juice made with Granny Smith Apples.  It's just the right combo of sweet and tart with a hint of Kale.  I (when I say I, I mean my husband) likes to make Kale juice about twice a month.  That's about as often as I remember to buy the ingredients and my husband is willing to lug out the big juicer.  The kids even get a taster.  It's our very own juice bar.

Dinner

Meatza!  Basically Pizza without the crust.  The crust is just one big hamburger patty.  And let me tell you!  that was one good hamburger patty.  I spent all night cooking because I decided to make extra patties to freeze, plus leftovers for tomorrow's dinner.  I also spent the evening preparing lunch and breakfast for the next day with extra batches of breakfast to freeze for next week.  I'm hoping the late night tonight will pay off in the end.

Now that I'm deliriously tired and second-thinking this whole detox thing, I probably should sign off and go to bed.  More tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment