Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Just me, the road and time (oh...and the babies, dogs and hubby)

What is it about running that can be so addicting? I'm not talking about running on the elliptical. That's working out for the sake of working out. When I run I feel connected to something. Maybe its the world I feel connected to as my feet pound on the gravel roads or maybe it's the push and nudge I feel as the air breathes into my ear "you can do it". I've never felt so good about myself, my family, my God. It all comes together for me out there.

I would like to say it's just me and the road. Or it's time for me to be by myself but the fact of the matter is I have two toddler boys and a busy husband so sometimes (most times) we run as a family.

The kids love it. I mean what's better than being pushed in a stroller, drinking juice and eyeing the deer as we make our way up and down and through our neighborhood. I like to think we are helping to instill in our boys an appreciation for the outdoors, for exercise and, most of all, for family time. I love finishing a tiring jog and looking into the eyes of my tired baby boys. I imagine that they are proud of their mommy.

In high school it was about competitions. There were clear goals when it came to sports. There was a first place and a second and a third. Out on the road there is no one to compete with but myself. There's no excitement that comes from an audience cheering you on. That all rests on my shoulders now. So I've decided that it's time to make the next move. A true runner signs up for races. So here goes. 10k here I come.

2 comments:

  1. Just found your blog... love reading your thoughts, getting to know you better and hearing about the 10k you are signing up for!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura! I have enjoyed reading your last two posts! Thanks for sharing what God is doing in your life. I can tell that HIS joy is exuding in YOUR LIFE! It's so fun to see! And of course, gotta love the pictures of your cuties. :-) And thanks for the reminder of the gift of life and that God is the Author of life. Something that should seem so simple, yet hard to live out and believe day by day. Thankful for YOU!

    ReplyDelete