Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Little Steps, Big Places


The boys have started walking! When I think back to last summer I remember their tiny little bodies sleeping in their huge cribs. They seemed to be so small and their cribs seemed to be so big! Now I watch them sleeping in their room at night and I can’t believe how they've changed. I am convinced they get bigger every day. The length of their skinny bodies now takes up over half of the length of their crib. Their beds now seem tiny in comparison.

I catch myself referring to them as babies. Yet, they are not. We are now parents of toddlers. I can no longer cradle and rock them in the nook of my left arm. It takes two arms and some serious strength to hold these strong-willed and curious little boys. Their world no longer resides in the lap of their mother or the arms of their father. Their world has expanded. A year ago, they were swaddled and nestled in their swings. This year, they are walking between the kitchen and the living room. The signs are visible from the trail of diapers they have pulled out of their basket and scattered in the form of a path through the hallway. It would be obvious to any outsider. Little people live here.

Once in a while Taylor still wants to hold my hand as he cruises around. And up until last Sunday, Benjamin wouldn’t go anywhere without a solid grasp on something or someone. Now they walk, albeit not well, anywhere their curiosity will take them. They no longer desire to be in my arms. And while this is a change that brings some sadness as I close out their babyhood, it also brings excitement. I am anxious to see where their little feet take them and, eventually, where God will lead them as well. I know their steps are little, but I’m confident these little feet will take them to big places.

No comments:

Post a Comment