Thursday, October 25, 2012

The Marathon! Take 2.


In the days leading up to my second marathon, I have become an avid believer in the ability of cold medications.  Where once I thought they were unnecessary, I was now relying on them heavily.  Monday found me in bed, head throbbing, nose congested and barely able to get out of bed for the day.  Several Zicams later, some Dayquil and lots of water and the cold began to recede.  And my confidence began to mount.  Until I checked the weather and heard of the unwelcome visitor we would be running with on Sunday:  Hurricane Sandy.  Well, I guess it ain’t a real marathon if you aren’t running into 30 mph headwinds and beating rain.  I continued to check the weather over the next 24 hours hoping and praying for a mistake.  This was supposed to be easier than Big Sur, when in reality it was shaping up to be just like Big Sur.  When I began to accept that the weather man may actually be right for a change I decided to have a good cry.  Hey…if crying and temper tantrums worked for Steve Jobs they should work for me, right?  After a quick check of the weather this morning, I realized I better suck it up.  I have decided it's time to begin building my mental endurance.  Race day is half mental and this day won’t be any different.  So I better be on my A game.  Let’s go!

No comments:

Post a Comment